top of page

5 PEACOCK eggs didn’t hatch. Let’s Investigate.


It's now 40 days since we put the peachick eggs (round 2) under the broody Australorp hen & in the incubator (later to be moved under 2 Silkie hens). So it's time to do what we did with round 1, and open the eggs up to investigate what growth occurred.

Luckily for us, we got 2 peachick eggs out of the whole ordeal... & we're ecstatic about that!

Before we dug into those, we checked in on the baby chicks that we picked up from McMurray Hatchery. Our 30 Cornish Cross, 2 Polish, 2 Crevecoeurs & 2 Bielefelders have all made it home & several nights in the brooder. But this time, we did it a little differently.

We've never raised our meat birds without a heat lamp or heat plate & we just happened to have 2 Silkies that had been sitting on the unhatched peachick eggs. So we moved the broody Silkies into the brooder at night & slipped the 36 chicks underneath them. They were a little startled by the massive amount of chicks, but they quickly protected them & kept them warm overnight.

Lastly, we are working on our food preservation for winter. Becky takes you on a tour of our cellar & all of the food she has canned so far.

We announced our trip to the Homesteaders of America Conference, if you want to meet us there, get your tickets HERE.

Featured Posts

Latest Posts

Sign Up For Updates


bottom of page